- Vegetable oil for deep frying
- 2 tablespoons granulated sugar
- 1 pack Old El Paso™ Stand ‘N Stuff™ Mini Soft Tortilla Boats
- 150g caramel or toffee sauce
- 1 teaspoon dark rum
- 20g unsalted butter
- 3 bananas, peeled and sliced
- 250g vanilla ice cream
- Heat 5-6cm of vegetable oil in a large deep pan or deep fat fryer, to 180°C, or until a small piece of bread dropped in the hot oil browns in 10 seconds.
- Place the sugar in a clear resealable bag. Fry the tortillas in batches in the hot oil for 1 minute on each side, using tongs to turn tortillas halfway through, until light brown all over. Drain tortillas upside down on a baking sheet lined with kitchen paper until slightly cool. If the middles of the tortillas are puffed, gently press down with the back of a spoon. Toss 4 tortillas at a time in the bag of sugar to coat. Remove to a wire rack to cool completely.
- Mix the caramel sauce and rum in a small bowl and stir until combined.
- Heat the butter in a large non-stick frying pan, over a medium-high heat, until melted. Add the banana slices and cook for 3-4 minutes, stirring until golden and caramelised. Pour in half of the rum caramel and mix gently to combine then remove the pan from the heat.
- Divide the banana mixture between the fried tortillas and top with small scoops of ice cream. Serve drizzled with the remaining caramel sauce.
Choose any flavour of ice cream – chocolate or salted caramel will both work just as well as vanilla.
For extra crunch scatter over some finely chopped toasted hazelnuts, walnuts or pecans.