- 3 litres water
- 100 g soft brown sugar
- 4 tablespoons ground cinnamon
- 4 whole cloves
- 200 g regular-grind coffee (dry)
- 125 g chocolate-flavoured syrup
- 1 teaspoon vanilla essence
- Whipped cream
1. Place the water, brown sugar, cinnamon and cloves in a large saucepan, and bring to a simmer, stirring to dissolve the sugar. Stir in the coffee, reduce the heat to medium-low, cover and simmer for a further 5 minutes.
2. Stir in the chocolate syrup and vanilla essence then remove from the heat. Let stand for 5 minutes for the coffee grounds to settle. Strain the coffee into a coffee server or individual cups and discard the grounds mixture. Serve with whipped cream.
Authentic Mexican chocolate is known for its hint of cinnamon.
Give the coffee a sophisticated look by using a coffee shaker filled with cocoa or cinnamon sprinkled over the top.