- 2 1/2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 small red onion, finely chopped
- 1 red pepper, deseeded and finely diced
- 1/2 x 435g tin Old El Paso™ Refried Beans
- 1 tablespoon Old El Paso™ Smoky BBQ Seasoning Mix For Fajitas
- 1 egg, beaten
- 1/2 x 425g tin Old El Paso™ Black Beans, drained and rinsed
- 80g tinned sweetcorn, drained
- 70g panko breadcrumbs (See tips)
- 1 tablespoon freshly chopped flat-leaf parsley
- 4 crusty bread rolls or burger buns
- Lettuce leaves
- Old El Paso™ Chunky Guacamole (optional)
- Heat 1/2 tablespoon of the olive oil in a non-stick frying pan over a medium heat. Add the onion and pepper and cook for 4-5 minutes, stirring until softened. Set aside to cool for 5 minutes.
- Mix the refried beans, seasoning mix and egg in a large bowl. Stir in the black beans, sweetcorn, breadcrumbs, parsley and the onion and pepper mixture. Season with salt and freshly ground black pepper and mix until thoroughly combined.
- Divide and shape the mixture into 4 even patties. Place on a plate, then cover and chill in the fridge for 30 minutes.
- Heat the remaining oil in the frying pan over a medium heat. Add the patties and cook for 8-9 minutes, turning once, until they have a crisp brown crust on each side. Serve in crusty rolls or burger buns with lettuce leaves and topped with guacamole, if you like.
Panko breadcrumbs are crisp and light Japanese-style dried breadcrumbs and you’ll find them in most large supermarkets. If unavailable, use the same amount of fresh white breadcrumbs.
If you prefer a spicier burger, add 1-2 deseeded and finely chopped red or green chillies to the pan with the onion and red pepper.
Cooking Vegetarian? Always read labels to make sure each recipe ingredient is vegetarian. Products and ingredient sources can change.