Old El Paso Chicken Tortilla Bake
Total Time 10 Minutes
Spice Level Extra Mild
- 50 gbutter
- 40 gplain flour sifted
- 570 mlmilk
- 200 g cheddar cheese, grated
- 1 tspcayenne pepper
- Salt and pepper
- 2 tbspolive oil
- 1 onion, halved and sliced
- 2 clovesgarlic, crushed
- 2 skinless chicken breasts, cut into bite-size pieces
- 1 red pepper, sliced
- 1 green pepper, sliced
- 1 Old El Paso™ Original Smoky BBQ Fajita Dinner Kit
- 400 gOld El Paso™ Black Beans
- Preheat the oven to 220°C / gas mark 7.
- To make the cheese sauce, melt the butter in a saucepan and remove from the heat. Stir in the sifted flour.
- Return the pan to the heat and gradually add the milk, just a little at a time. Stir well after each addition, making sure all the milk is incorporated before adding more. Continue until all the milk is mixed in, and then cook very gently on a low heat for another 5 minutes.
- Stir in 150 g of the cheddar cheese and the cayenne pepper and season to taste. Set aside. (Alternatively, use 570 ml shop-bought cheese sauce.)
- Heat the olive oil in a large frying pan and gently fry the onion until soft and translucent. Add the garlic and fry for a couple of minutes before adding the chicken pieces. Turn up the heat and cook the chicken for around 5 minutes until no pink remains.
- Throw in the slices of pepper and the seasoning mix from the Dinner Kit and stir fry for a couple more minutes. Drain the black beans, stir these in, along with the pack of salsa from the Dinner Kit, and warm it all through.
- Spoon half of the cheese sauce into the base of a 20 cm round baking dish. Lay a tortilla on top, followed by a third of the chicken mixture. Repeat this twice more, followed with the final tortilla. Cover with the remaining cheese sauce and the remaining grated cheese.
- Bake in the oven for 15 to 20 minutes until golden and bubbling on top. Serve with a simple salad.