Mexican Hot Cocoa
Total Time 2 Hours 15 Minutes
- 1 litre whole or semi-skimmed milk
- 150g light soft brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons instant espresso coffee powder or granules
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 175g dark chocolate, chopped
- 2 cinnamon sticks
- 1 dried ancho chilli
- Finely grated chocolate
- Whipped cream
- Pour the milk and 360ml hot water into a slow cooker pot. Stir in the brown sugar, coffee powder, vanilla extract, chocolate, cinnamon sticks and the ancho chilli.
- Cover and cook on a low heat setting for 2-3 hours. Stir the hot cocoa and remove the cinnamon sticks and ancho chilli before serving. Serve in mugs topped with finely grated chocolate and a spoonful of whipped cream, if you like.
- Mexican hot chocolate is usually frothy when served. To achieve this effect, vigorously stir the hot cocoa with a balloon whisk until very frothy just before pouring into mugs to serve.
- If you cannot find any dried ancho chillies, use a regular dried chilli, but the heat will be a little less intense.