Roasted Vegetable Chilli
Total Time 1 Hours
Spice Level Medium
- 8 shallots, peeled and halved
- 1 aubergine, cut into chunks
- 2 large courgettes, trimmed and cut into chunks
- 1 large red pepper, deseeded and chopped
- 4 tablespoons olive oil
- 200g chestnut mushrooms, halved
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 1 pack Old El Paso™ Seasoning Mix for Chilli
- 1 tin (400g) chopped tomatoes
- 400ml water
- Soured cream
- Fresh coriander sprigs
- Old El Paso™ Super Soft Flour Tortillas, warmed (optional)
- Preheat the oven to 220°C (200°C for fan assisted ovens), gas mark 7. Spread the shallots, aubergine, courgettes and pepper in a large roasting tin. Drizzle over 3 tablespoons of the oil and toss to coat. Roast for 25-30 minutes, then stir in the mushrooms and roast for a further 10 minutes, until all the vegetables are tender.
- Meanwhile, heat the rest of the oil in a large flameproof casserole. Add the garlic and fry for 1 minute then stir in the chilli seasoning mix and fry for a further few seconds. Stir in the tomatoes and water and bring to the boil. Simmer for 10 minutes.
- Stir the roasted vegetables into chilli tomato sauce and simmer for 4-5 minutes. Season to taste with salt and freshly ground black pepper.
- Serve in warmed bowls topped with guacamole, soured cream and fresh coriander and with warmed tortillas.
- Cut all the vegetables into even-sized chunks so that they cook evenly.
- Try adding a handful of drained black or green olives or some drained and rinsed capers to the chilli at the end of cooking.